We’ve all demonstrated some level of presenteeism at work at some point in our jobs. For many of us these are short-lived periods of time when we are not as productive as we usually are due to a variety of reasons. For others, periods of presenteeism can be longer-lasting if the cause goes unaddressed.
During the spring time, healthy eating and fitness are often hot topics even in workplaces. Since workplaces are where you spend most of your waking hours, they are the great places to start taking the steps to your healthier lifestyle. As such, I propose a healthy workplace challenge for your workplace. Let the sunny days fuel your motivation to make a healthy lifestyle changes as a team! Ask your colleagues if they are interested in a healthy workplace challenge and make a commitment to start today!
Have you ever thought to yourself, “I wish I had the time to eat healthier”? One of the top reasons people say they cannot eat healthy is because they lack the time. Each day, we seem to get busier and busier but we cannot let that be an excuse to not eating. You may not have the time to prepare large and extravagant healthy meals but you do have the time to eat right. This post is for those of us that are interested in eating healthy, but have busy schedules that limit us from eating the way we should.
Here are some tips and tricks that can help you adopt a healthier diet.
Despite fathers taking on a more active and nurturing role, it usually women who take maternity leave to stay with the child for the first period of the newborn’s life? Although the number of Canadian fathers receiving paid paternal leave has increased to 20% in 2006, it is still low compared to Nordic countries - Sweden (90%), Norway (89%) and Iceland (84%) (Marshall, 2014). The big question remains: Why are so few Canadian fathers taking paternal leaves?
Waking up every morning to go to work is difficult for many of us, and not being a morning person doesn’t help either. Getting up everyday for a job you don’t like is even harder.
According to a survey carried out by Capital One, the majority of Canadians, some 69%, are very satisfied with their current place of employment and do not plan on leaving anytime soon (Wright, 2014). This number is quite high and reflects well on Canadian workplaces. That is not to say that all of the remaining 31% absolutely hate their job and want to quit immediately. However, there may be a small (but nonetheless important) percentage of employees out there who are experiencing extremely low job satisfaction and are thinking about leaving their job or career as a solution to their current dissatisfaction.
76% of employees report their chronic stress is linked to work (Key Organization Systems, 2013) and this is not a very surprising statistic. Nearly everyone I have talked to feels stressed from work. How many times have you had to stay at work to finish a project? Do you feel like there just aren’t enough hours in the work-day to complete everything? The problem may be that you are not working efficiently enough.
COURAGE - it's what enables us to overcome obstacles and fears, build resiliency, and overcome adversity. Courage helps to develop and maintain good mental health, and can help us step out of our comfort zones at home and at work to be ourselves, and be proud of who we are.
Welcome guest blogger, Billy Anderson for today's post on courage.
Work-life balance is a top of mind phenomenon these days. How do we improve our work-life balance? Is there such a thing? Work is a part of life, right? But we all know how challenging it can be to balance the demand of life with the demands of our workplace. Yes, these are all demands in our life, and yes, you may have guessed where we were going with this, these demands, whether from work or home, take a toll on our mental health.
From last weeks post on self-assessments, we learned the importance of checking-in with yourself and some strategies to do so. So, where do we go from there? Once you identify the areas you would like to improve, try to set small goals for yourself. Here are 5 simple strategies you can use to improving your work-life balance: